Cold Ground Beef Roast
This juicy and aromatic gourmet roast is melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Fresh, lean ground beef blended with fragrant spices, vegetables & herbs, and wrapped in a tender crust of bacon. It is very easy to make.
You will need: (Makes 1 baking dish)
- 500 grams fresh lean ground beef (93 %) (1.1 lb)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized red sweet bell pepper
- 1 small can sliced button mushrooms, drained
- salt to taste (several dashes recommended)
- white or crushed black pepper to taste (several dashes recommended)
- sweet paprika powder to taste (several dashes recommended)
- 1 envelope coriander & annato (Sazon Goya)
- 1 – 2 dashes ground nutmeg to taste
- 1 – 2 dashes ground rosemary (or dried)
- 1 – 2 dashes ground oregano (or dried)
- 1 – 2 dashes of ground or dried thyme
- several dashes dried marjoram
- about 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped, optional
- 200 grams prosciutto, chopped (7.1 oz)
- 1 – 2 slices of white bread, soaked and water drained off (for soft bread crumbs)
- 1 large egg
- sliced bacon to cover the baking dish with (bottom and all sides), low sodium, low fat preferred, as needed (approx. 7 – 8 slices)
Lightly oil a heatproof rectangle baking dish (round-shaped or square-shaped). Arrange the slices of bacon on the bottom and all sides of the dish. Set it aside. In a large bowl, mix the ground beef with the vegetables, spices, herbs, prosciutto, bread, and egg. Mix well, using your hands. Fill the ground beef mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350° F (375° C – 200° C), for 1 1/2 hours, on the lower oven rack. Remove from the oven and use the released juices to make a fabulous sauce. Pour the juice into a sauce pan. Add flour or cornstarch as a binder and whisk it with a wire whisk. Use only as much binder to lightly thicken the sauce. Heat over medium heat until the sauce thickens. Stir and set aside. Season with crushed black pepper, a pinch of each salt, sugar, and nutmeg. Slice the roast and serve it hot with potato dumplings, spaetzle, potatoes, or pasta, and sauce. The ground beef roast is dressed up and tailored with a tender crust of bacon around the entire roast for each and every juicy slice. Enjoy! Leftover ground beef roast makes a fantastic sandwich – warm or cold.
Tip: As a general rule, make the taste test after you seasoned the ground beef (consume only very little, after all, it is raw beef mixed with raw egg). Tailor the seasoning to your personal liking.
Photo: Baking dish aligned with slices of uncooked bacon.
Photo: Baking dish with seasoned raw ground beef.
For more information, kitchen basics, helpful tips, basic recipes, go to Tastelishes. Tastelishes delivers recipes to create easy homemade dishes from scratch with glorious flavor, texture & style using healthy, natural ingredients. Enjoy Life. Eat Tastelishes.
14 photo-illustrated themed Tastelishes eBooks showcase gorgeous recipes and simple directions to delight the home cook and home baker. Available at Amazon.
All writing, illustrations, and photography is Copyright Tastelishes 2013, unless indicated otherwise, and may not be reproduced. All rights reserved.